Taking Courses Outside VCU

Students occasionally need to take classes outside VCU and we can facilitate that process. 

The Request to Take Courses at Another Institution process allows students to request permission to take courses at other regionally accredited *U.S. institutions. The form must be completed prior to enrolling in the outside course so VCU can make sure it is the right course for the student’s degree requirements. 

Note: No student is permitted to take equivalents to UNIV 111 Focused Inquiry I, UNIV 112 Focused Inquiry II, or UNIV 200 Inquiry and the Craft of Argument outside VCU after beginning classes at VCU. *VCU students planning to take classes outside the U.S. should work with the VCU Global Education Office

Steps to completing the request process:

  1. Use the Transfer Course Table to identify the institution you plan to attend and the course(s) you will take. The Transfer Course Table will tell you what the VCU equivalent is for a transferable course. If the course is not listed on the Transfer Course Table, please contact the Transfer Center at transferinfo@vcu.edu to determine if it is a suitable option.
  2. Fill out and submit the Request to Take Courses at Another Institution form
  3. The form will be reviewed by your academic advisor and the Transfer Center. Please allow up to 2 weeks for your request to be processed. More time may be required around university closures.
  4. You will then receive an email with the decision. If the course has been approved, the email will include a PDF stating that VCU has approved you to take the course(s) elsewhere. 
  5. You can then register for the course(s) with the other institution. Please note that you are subject to all registration requirements, including prerequisites, as a visiting student at the other institution.

After you complete the course(s):

  1. Confirm the grade for the course is finalized.
  2. Send an official transcript from that school to the VCU Transfer Center. The VCU Transfer Center can accept transcripts through the mail or electronically:
    1. Electronically (USE THIS METHOD if available): send to "transferinfo@vcu.edu"
      If the school uses Parchment to send their transcripts, select "Another Individual" or "Third Party" on the page asking where you want to send your transcript. Then enter VCU Transfer Center and "transferinfo@vcu.edu" as the recipient. Otherwise, the transcript will go to Admissions and may not be reported to the Transfer Center.
    2. Sent by mail (ONLY IF electronic delivery is not available): VCU Transfer Center, Box 842532, Richmond, VA 23284-2532
  3. You will know the credit has been added to your VCU record when the course appears as transfer credit on your unofficial VCU transcript in eServices. The eServices transcript updates automatically, while DegreeWorks does not.

Do not have transcripts sent to Records & Registration or Admissions or your advisor. Sending transcripts to those offices will delay the posting process.