High school credits

Did you get a jump-start on college while still attending high school? We accept credits earned from the following sources.

Dual enrollment

VCU evaluates all college-level courses you took while enrolled in high school on an individual basis. You must have earned a C or better for the course to transfer. Have the college that awarded the dual-enrollment credit send an official transcript to the VCU Office of Admissions before you attend New Student Orientation. This ensures that advisors do not recommend enrollment in classes for which you’ve already received credit. High school transcripts are not accepted for dual enrollment courses.

AP, CLEP, IB and Cambridge exams

If you earned Advanced Placement, College Level Examination Program (CLEP), International Baccalaureate, or Cambridge examination credit during high school, you’ll need to submit your exam scores to the VCU Transfer Center. AP and CLEP scores must come directly from the College Board (VCU's school code: 5570) and IB scores should come directly from the International Baccalaureate office. We cannot accept AP or IB credits from a high school or college transcript. To have your Cambridge credits evaluated, request an official copy of your transcript from the CIE coordinators at your high school.

See the VCU Bulletin for a list of course equivalents based on exam scores.

Exams affected by COVID-19

The changes to AP, IB and A-Level exam practices will not affect how credit is awarded to eligible students at VCU. We aim to support AP, IB and A-Level test-takers affected by COVID-19 by accepting the alternate examination process administered by each testing agency. See the VCU Bulletin for accepted exams, required scores and equivalent credit information.